Residence hall fire at New York college displaces 177

Jan. 17, 2013
Improperly used power strip cause blaze in Matteson Hall at SUNY Oneonta..

From SUNY Oneonta: A fire at Matteson Hall on the campus of SUNY Oneonta was caused by the improper use of an electrical power strip, the school says. None of the 177 students living in the residence hall was hurt, but residents will have to find other living arrangements for at least a week. The third floor sustained significant damage and cannot be occupied for the remainder of the semester. Damage to the other floors was less severe, but the cleanup is anticipated to take at least a week. Officials are working on a plan to have residents escorted into the building as soon as possible to retrieve necessary personal items that can be salvaged.

Earlier....from The Oneonta Daily Star: A fire at a residence hall at the State University College at Oneonta, N.Y., has displaced 177 residents, but no one was hurt.

Sponsored Recommendations

Schedule an AIA Course Presentation

Get closer to completing your annual AIA Continuing Education requirement.. Our continuing education courses will get you that much closer to completi…