6578da7a9aa20a001e4ad7be Evergreen State College

Student dies from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington

Dec. 12, 2023
Two other students living in campus housing have been hospitalized.

One student has died and two other students have been hospitalized by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington.

The Olympian reports that the students were living on campus in Evergreen’s modular housing.

The student who died was identified as Jonathan Rodriguez, 21, of DuPont, Washington.

College spokesperson Kelly Von Holtz said an Evergreen police officer broke down a door to the housing Monday night after a student residence manager couldn’t reach those inside. The officer tried to revive the students, but was overcome by carbon monoxide and taken to an area hospital. He was released Tuesday morning, Von Holtz said.

Earlier in the day Monday, a contractor working on campus in an area of housing called the Modular Apartments responded to carbon monoxide alarms, the college said in a news release

The modular housing or “mods” are smaller buildings with larger bedrooms and two bathrooms. Each mod houses six students per building, according to college information. 

The Washington State Patrol has begun investigation. The Seattle Times reports that the State Patrol  has brought in a forensic engineering firm that specializes in carbon monoxide investigations to assist in the probe.

One of the injured students was released from the hospital Wednesday.

About the Author

Mike Kennedy | Senior Editor

Mike Kennedy has been writing about education for American School & University since 1999. He also has reported on schools and other topics for The Chicago Tribune, The Kansas City Star, The Kansas City Times and City News Bureau of Chicago. He is a graduate of Michigan State University.

Sponsored Recommendations