A 130-year-old building on the East Lansing campus of Michigan State University has undergone an extensive restoration.
Constructed in 1889, the facility, which has been known as Cook Hall, received a $3 million overhaul that restored the ceilings, walls, woodwork and period lighting to preserve the building’s historic origins. Other improvements include addition of multifunctional gathering spaces, breakout areas to foster interaction and collaboration and better meeting, research and study space. Also, the building is now completely accessible with the addition of a barrier-free entrance, restrooms and elevator.
In honor of a $3 million donation from alumnus Gary Seevers that paid for the restoration, the building has been renamed Cook-Seevers Hall.
The building is part of Michigan State's historic Laboratory Row – six buildings constructed between 1888 and1909. For more than 50 years it has housed graduate students from the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Renovations were completed earlier this year.
Originally known as Entomology on Laboratory Row, the building was renamed in 1969 for Albert J. Cook, an 1862 MSU graduate and one of the leading economic entomologists of his time.
During his time at MSU, Seevers studied animal science and agricultural economics and received his bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees.