Norfolk Public Schools
Rendering of plans for a new Camp Allen Elementary

Replacement elementary in Norfolk, Va., will benefit military families

Feb. 28, 2017
Defense department funding will cover most of the cost of the new Camp Allen Elementary.

The Norfolk (Va.) school district has begun construction of a new Camp Allen Elementary School to replace an aging facility.

Plans call for a 97,630-square-foot building on a 14-acre site with the capacity for 571 students in pre-kindergarten through 5th grade. The majority of students at the school are the children of military personnel. Enrollment at the existing campus, which was built in 1971, is 449 students, the city of Norfolk says.

A $22.9 million grant from the U.S. Department of Defense will cover 80 percent of the estimated $28.7 million construction cost. The city will provide the remaining 20 percent.

Camp Allen Elementary is situated at Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads, which is home to the U.S. Fleet Forces Command, Joint Staff Hampton Roads, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Command, Naval Submarine Forces, Atlantic; and Naval Reserve Forces Command.

The new Camp Allen is the final project in the school district's efforts to build five schools in three years.

About the Author

Mike Kennedy | Senior Editor

Mike Kennedy, senior editor, has written for AS&U on a wide range of educational issues since 1999.

Sponsored Recommendations

Providing solutions that help creativity, collaboration, and communication.

Discover why we’re a one-stop shop for all things education. See how ODP Business Solutions can help empower your students, school, and district to succeed by supporting healthier...

Building Futures: Transforming K–12 Learning Environments for Tomorrow's Leaders

Discover how ODP Business Solutions® Workspace Interiors partnered with a pioneering school system, overcoming supply chain challenges to furnish 18 new K–12 campuses across 4...

How to design flexible learning spaces that teachers love and use

Unlock the potential of flexible learning spaces with expert guidance from school districts and educational furniture providers. Discover how to seamlessly integrate adaptive ...

Blurring the Lines in Education Design: K–12 to Higher Ed to Corporate America

Discover the seamless integration of educational and corporate design principles, shaping tomorrow's leaders from kindergarten to boardroom. Explore innovative classroom layouts...