Walker Hall at the South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind, Spartanburg, S.C., was constructed in 1859. The 68,000-square-foot building is home to a myriad of educational programs for 400-plus K-12 students with severe sensory and mobility limitations.
Over the past 100 years, it has undergone two additions and significant alterations. The Greek Revival-Italian Villa style core structure recently was preserved and modernized, including innovative ADA and building-code compliance, a complete interior renovation and an exterior restoration. Antiquated infrastructure, safety and accessibility issues were addressed in the $12 million project.
The building houses administrative offices, classrooms, a dining facility, a state museum for the deaf, and a 600-seat auditorium. Balustraded interior balconies, a central entrance with a circular skylight and a pedimented portico were preserved.
The architect for this project is McMillan, Smith & Partners, PLLC (Spartanburg, S.C.).