A 9-year-old boy died Friday afternoon at a school in Alexandria, Va., after suffering head injuries when he was caught between a motorized room partition and a wall in the gymnasium.
The Washington Post reports that the boy, Wesley Lipicky, and his teacher simultaneously pressed a button to operate the partition at Franconia Elementary School, causing the device to malfunction, said Fairfax County Police Sgt. Aaron Pfeiff.
“I am deeply saddened by this tragic accident,” Scott Brabrand, superintendent of Fairfax County Public Schools, said in a statement. “Our first priority is supporting the family, students and staff as they cope with this sudden loss.”
Police say investigators have determined the death was accidental and no charges are expected.
The school district says it will work with police and the county to review safety protocols and procedures.
The incident occurred at about 4:45 p.m. Friday while the boy was in an after-school program, School Age Child Care (SACC).