The Oklahoma City University is holding a ribbon cutting ceremony this week to commemorate the grand opening of its new home--the historic former Central High School in the city's downtown.
The university's Board of Trustees bought the former facility in 2012, and a few months later, approved a proposal to renovate the building and move the law school there. Classes began in January in the renovated building.
Built in 1910, the facility is on the National Register of Historic Places. It housed a public high school until the early 1980s, when it was sold to Southwestern Bell. The building housed an insurance firm when the university acquired it.
The architect for the renovation is Frankfurt Short Bruza.
Before its new home was ready, the law school occupied 110,000 square feet in four buildings on the university’s campus. The downtown facility provides more than 140,000 square feet. The move also puts students and faculty within walking distance of the Oklahoma County Courthouse, the Oklahoma City U.S. Federal Building and Courthouse and several law firms.
The renovation converted office space to classroom space and added a courtroom, faculty, staff and administrative offices, and space for admissions, student services, academic achievement, career services, law centers, law clinics, law review, international programs and student bar association. It also has a two-story library with café and collaboration rooms.