Prior to the $8 million renovation, the 1906 Brace Hall building had been primarily unoccupied with the exception of a couple studio spaces. Now, Brace Hall features life-science laboratory and support space, a 186-seat auditorium, classrooms and office space. LEO A DALY was the architect.
The renovated auditorium expanded seating to 180, introduced technology improvements, uncovered vintage details, and updated lighting and acoustics.
To accommodate classrooms devoted to active and collaborative learning, massive brick walls were removed to double classroom size.
Three life-science labs were remodeled with "island" work stations to foster collaboration and interactive learning.
Before renovation Brace Hall had no functioning restrooms. Now, there are compliant restrooms on every floor.
Energy efficiency was increased with the new HVAC system, LED lighting, new windows, and by adding continuous insulation to the exterior walls.