Colby College in Waterville, Maine, is planning to build a $200 million athletic complex on the northwest corner of campus that will be the largest project in the school's history.
The facility will have 350,000 square feet of space and is slated to open in 2020.
Some of the highlights planned for the complex:
- An indoor competition center with a 200-meter track
- The only Olympic-sized pool in Maine
- A multilevel, 13,500-square-foot fitness center, connected to new spaces for yoga and other fitness classes
- A state-of-the-art squash competition center
- An interior atrium that will admit natural light throughout the complex
- New space for athletic trainers, coaching, and team gatherings
- Environmentally sound design—a compact footprint, renewable energy, ecosystem-sensitive landscape with native plantings, and wetland conservation.
The new complex will enable the college to welcome more local teams and competitions to campus. For example, the pool will draw swim competitions from around the state and potentially the region.
“Colby’s athletics facilities have a long tradition of serving as a home for local and regional teams and community users,” says Vice President of Planning Brian Clark. “The new athletics complex will expand on this commitment and...will help to make Waterville a true destination for athletics.”