St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church Day School and Education Center, in Brenham, Texas, has embarked on an expansion campaign that more than doubles its existing classroom facilities. By adding 29,000 square feet of classroom, library and administration space, the $2.8 million expansion will be part of the ongoing effort to meet the educational needs of the community.
Established in 1890 in a community of German immigrants, St. Paul's moved to its present location in 1925. Reflecting several historical styles, the pointed windows and tracery echo the Gothic style of medieval times. The turret and tower placement of rectilinear windows are reminiscent of English countryside churches. In 1961, the first educational building was added under a major renovation and addition, setting the school on its current course.
The new addition, while paying homage to the existing eclectic styles, is a unifying design element that not only embraces the latest technology, but also serves as a model for current educational needs. Clerestory windows and light colors make use of natural daylighting, while deep roof overhangs provide shade.
Because of the growing concern over the presence of potentially harmful vapors in building products, interior materials were chosen to greatly reduce, if not totally eliminate, the presence of VOCs in paints and finishes. Formaldehyde-free MDF for millwork, rubber and linoleum for resilient flooring, PVC-free carpet and non-toxic adhesives were chosen specifically to support this goal.
Architect is Oza Bouchard Architects, Inc. (Houston).
For more information on these project and others, visit www.schooldesigns.com.