This project is the adaptive reuse of the Sterling Divinity Quadrangle at the Yale Divinity School, New Haven, Conn. The original Georgian buildings designed by Delano and Aldrich and completed in 1932, are an assembly of 17 pavilions stepping down from Marquand Chapel. The eight pavilions of the main quadrangle had no connecting internal circulation, and there was no level connection between the chapel, common rooms, and refectory and instructional spaces. There were many entrances to the buildings, but few without steps.
The project's objectives were to accommodate the new academic program, provide handicapped accessibility, preserve the significant spaces of the existing buildings, and foster a sense of community.
Eight former residential pavilions were adapted for academic use by removing some floors and ceilings to create space for large classrooms. Pavilions were connected by fully accessible first- and second-floor circulation, and new second-floor enclosures were provided. Spaces were preserved through restoration, adaptation and new construction. A sense of community was created by adapting elements of the existing building to new uses, by making all parts of the building accessible, and by relocating program elements.
The project was constructed in phases between 2000 and 2003 while the school remained in full operation.
The architect for this project is R.M. Kliment & Frances Halsband Architects (New York City).