Los Angeles Unified School Board President Steve Zimmer discusses the threat that led to the district39s decision to close schools on Tuesday

Los Angeles Unified School Board President Steve Zimmer discusses the threat that led to the district's decision to close schools on Tuesday.

Schools back in session in Los Angeles district (with Video)

Students return to schools one day after bomb threat prompted officials to cancel classes.

Classes for some 650,000 students in the Los Angeles Unified School District have resumed Wednesday, one day after officials canceled school because of a bomb threat sent to district officials.

"All L.A. Unified schools and charters have been inspected, and Chief Steven Zipperman has given the all-clear," Superintendent Ramon Cortines said. "Classes and after-school activities will resume on Wednesday. The district will have crisis counselors available for students and employees who may need additional support."

MORE: The district has posted an online video that explains the decision to reopen schools on Wednesday and describes in more detail what prompted officials to close down campuses on Tuesday:

TUESDAY: Authorities in Los Angeles continue to investigate threats of violence that led officials to close public schools in the city on Tuesday and keep some 650,000 students home.

Officials with the Los Angeles Unified School District and local law enforcement agencies told reporters at a morning news conference that the decision to close schools came after several district officials received an e-mail threat about violent attacks planned for schools in Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, in New York City, officials say they received a similar e-mail threat, but they concluded it was not credible, The New York Times reports.

Los Angeles School Superintendent Ramon Cortines said he decided to close schools Tuesday after reviewing the threats with local law enforcement officials.

"Based on past circumstance, I could not take the chance," Cortines said.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said the threat e-mailed to several school board members "was very specific" about Los Angeles school district campuses and mentioned explosive devices, assault rifles and pistols. The e-mail was routed through Germany, Beck said, but authorities believe it originated in a location "much closer than Germany."

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti added that authorities were operating with "an abundance of caution....in light of what happened in San Bernardino."

Fourteen people were killed earlier this month in San Bernardino when a heavily armed couple opened fire at a holiday party. 

EARLIER: All schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District have been closed Tuesday after the district received "a credible threat."

Officials announced on Facebook, Twitter and the district's web site that all campuses in the nation's second-largest school district have been closed because of the threat. The system has about 650,000 students.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the threat warned of violence involving backpacks and packages left at campuses.

Superintendent Ramon Cortines says that every one of the district's 900 schools was being searched by appropriate personnel. 

Students were told to stay home. Those that had already arrived at school are safe, officials say, and will be watched by staff members  until parents or guardians can be notified.  Parents and guardians will be required to show proper identification when picking up their children at school.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish