Students are escorted out of Horace Mann Elementary School in Chicago after a carbon monoxide leak WGN-TV

Students are escorted out of Horace Mann Elementary School in Chicago after a carbon monoxide leak.

Carbon monoxide leak at Chicago school sends more than 100 to hospital

Leak at Horace Mann Elementary was detected by newly installed carbon monoxide monitors

A carbon monoxide leak Thursday at an elementary school on Chicago's South Side sent 104 students and seven staff members to the hospital.

DNAinfo Chicago reports that newly installed carbon monoxide detectors--the school system has installed 5,900 detectors in the last month in schools throughout the city--were tripped as school started Thursday at Horace Mann Elementary School. Students were evacuated, and some were taken to a local hospital as a precaution.

Firefighters responded to the alarms shortly after 9 a.m. Thursday. Because it was early in the day, exposure to the gas was low, according to the Fire Department.

The carbon monoxide detectors were installed at Horace Mann in the last month as part of district's drive to install such alarms in every school. The district acted after a carbon monoxide leak in October at an elementary on the Northwest Side sickened more than 80 people.

Video from WGN-TV:

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish