13 students at suburban Chicago high school fall ill after eating gummy bears WLS-TV

13 students at suburban Chicago high school fall ill after eating gummy bears

Students from Naperville North High School were treated at a local hospital after eating gummy bears that allegedly were laced with an unknown substance.

Officials say 13 students at a high school in Naperville, Ill., were treated at a hospital Tuesday for illness after eating gummy bears laced with an unknown substance.

WLS-TV reports that officials at Naperville North High School west of Chicago say the students felt uncomfortable after ingesting the gummy bears and were experiencing a fast heart rate, dizziness and dry mouth.

As a precaution, 13 teens experienced varying degrees of discomfort were taken to a local hospital. As of Tuesday afternoon, 11 students remain hospitalized in "stable" condition. Two were treated and released.

Naperville Police Commander Jason Arres says students told police they believed the candy was laced with some sort of "liquid-based marijuana substance." Authorities are conducting tests to confirm exactly what was in them.

A 17-year-old student is in custody in connection the incident as investigators continue to look into how the gummy bears were distributed.

Video from WLS-TV:

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish