Marshall-Adams Hall, one of the oldest buildings on the Michigan State University (MSU) campus in East Lansing, has undergone a $6 million rehabilitation. The red-brick, granite and limestone building, constructed in 1902, is listed on the Michigan State Register of Historic Places.
The architect carried out historical research and an extensive investigation of existing conditions to understand how the building originally was configured and how it evolved over time.
The renovation returned the building's exterior to its original appearance and restored its character-defining interior features. It also incorporated new faculty offices, contemporary systems and advanced technologies.
When conducting historical research on the facility, the architect discovered that a 1952 renovation had removed most of the features of the original building. An architectural finish analysis helped determine the original interior and exterior color schemes, and the original floor plans and historical photos helped the architect develop the interior schematic design and details.
The rehabilitated floor plan contains a central core housing the main egress stairs, restrooms on each floor and an elevator to make the building ADA-accessible. Circulation and support spaces surround the new central core area, followed by office suites lining the exterior walls.
The architect is Lord, Aeck & Sargent (Ann Arbor, Mich.; Atlanta).