The modernization of the circa-1950 E.C. Glass High School, Lynchburg, Va., recently was completed on time and under budget. The school is a highly visible city landmark, situated along a scenic drive. The three-year project required six carefully sequenced phases so that the 1,600-student school could remain open throughout construction.
Renovations totaled 330,000 square feet and included the relocation of classrooms and spaces for cultural arts and tech-career programs. A 45,000-square-foot addition now houses science labs, a gymnasium, and kitchen and dining facilities.
The architect/engineer is Dewberry (Danville, Va.).